While I’ve been in the same location as Reuben on dozens of occasions, I can probably count on one hand the times we have personally spoke to each other. Until we meet again, he perhaps won’t know the effect he had on me. Reuben is married to my wife’s Aunt. Most of my memories of him occur at family gatherings. Holly and I spent our first Thanksgiving together at his home a week after we were married. I got the feeling that while he was pleased that Holly had gotten married the jury was still out on me and that how he felt about me would be judged by my actions from then on. Over the past 8 years, he has been a shining example to me of what a good man is.
While most of us at Thanksgiving were chompin at the bit to start eating all the good food that was prepared, it was supremely important to Reuben that we go around the room and share something we were thankful for. If I remember right, all of his comments had to do with his family. Whether it was talking about his son Kolter on a mission or pride in his adopted son David, who country loves more than self, he always spoke with feeling and emotion. With joy, he spoke about his children who finally had become parents themselves after waiting so long. With deep reverence, he spoke about loved ones who had gone before us and had showed us the way to live. He spoke of the Savior and his love for Him. I could always tell the things most important to Reuben.
Reuben and I share a love for music and after the eating was over he always wanted our family to go around the piano and sing hymns. He especially loved the songs in the back meant for the men’s chorus. As Helen or Holly would play, we would all sing. Reuben is a bass and sings very well. He always wanted us to sing just one more and it never got old to me either.
Reuben raised five boys that I look up to and admire. Each of them is uniquely different from each other. The one thing that I can tell they all share is a deep love for their father. It seems at times to be borderline worship. I love Matt’s story of their hunting trip just a few years ago where their dad was patient and got the prize. I can tell they want to be like him. They are good men because Reuben is a good man.
In a world where I believe there is a shortage of good men, we have lost one of the very best that I know. Reuben is a shining example to me and others of how we should live our lives. In my view, people like Reuben only go one place when they die. I testify that Reuben’s eternal spirit went back to the God that gave him life and that loving words were exchanged. I testify that he reunited with loved ones that went before him and that he waits with joy the time he will be reunited with his family still on earth. As we remember the life of this great man, let us resolve to show by our actions that we want to live with our families forever.
5 comments:
so sweet!
thanks robert. thanksgiving with the eagar's is always the best, and that is thanks to uncle reuben for sure. those are some of my favorite memories of him also. he was always such a good example and really focused on what matters most. i'm so thankful for eternal families!!
Thank you for your words Robert, many of us have those same feelings but have not taken time to put them in words. Thanks for making that effort. Your awesome.
Robert, thank you so much for writing such awesome things about my father-in-law. He is Hannah's hero - we all loved him so much. We appreciate all the support and it's so touching to see how many people loved him too :)
Robert,
This is a powerful tribute to my Dad. Thanks so much. I've been meaning for a while now to tell you how much I appreciate it. It's obvious that it comes from the heart.
I know, and can assure you, that my Dad really loves and appreciates you very much. He loves Holly and her family a lot, too. One thing I know for sure is that he adores your kids, especially the Carter and Gabs, who he knew much better. He always looked forward to seeing them at Thanksgiving and at the reunions--especially at the talent show. In these last 15 years, Dad really felt as though Uncle Sherwood was like his younger brother...filling a void that was created 31 years ago when Dad's brother Evan died suddenly and at such a young age.
I agree with you that he always had to get to know someone a little bit to see their true colors before he could decide for sure if they could be trusted. Well, you passed that test with flying colors time and again.
We miss him a whole lot, but we are also thankful that we have so many sweet memories to lean on. What would we do without the gospel? Thanks for your strong testimony at the end of the post. It fortified my faith.
It was REALLY great that you and Holly drove up for the funeral.
Post a Comment